Monday, February 25, 2008

Cricket? Yeah, I am addicted

Okay, I am a cricket fan. The more I watch this game and learn about it the more I love it. Once I realized that I couldn't keep comparing the game to baseball I really started to understand what is going on. So here is small overview of the batter position for those of you who may want to learn a little about cricket.

Like baseball, the batter is trying to score runs but he is also trying to protect the stumps. The stumps? Yes, the stumps. The stumps are 3 vertical sticks behind the batter that have 2 bails, small pieces of wood, lying on top of the stumps that form the wicket. The bowler, or pitcher, is trying to hit the stumps and knock the bails off to get the batter out. The batter is actually trying to use the bat to keep the bowler from hitting the stumps.

And finally a quick update. Even though India lost on Sunday to Australia, they have chance to move on to the finals if they beat Sri Lanka today. As of now, Sri Lanka has finished batting and now India is due up. India's defense was outstanding they were able to get 10 wickets before 50 overs. If you want to know what that means I suggest doing a little reading and then try watching part of a game. I will try to keep adding some information about cricket as I continue to learn what is going on.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay quick question. How is the food? I think that would be the worst part about a trip like that since I'm a picky eater.

William Taylor said...

Well, I guess that is pretty relative. To me, the food is great. All that I have eaten since I have been here is Indian food and I like. The food can be pretty spicy but I like that. I usually eat chicken with curry sauce and rice but I have also had lamb. Lunch is served in the cafeteria while I am at work and I eat that as well. I don't know what most of it is called but it tastes good. Lots of sauces, rice and beans. They also serve different breads that are more like tortillas and small pancakes. It all tastes good to me but I am not really picky so munch it all down.